Pictures

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

On/Off Relationships

Last night, around midnight, I was outside with no one or nothing else around to distract me. At first I was just enjoying not thinking about anything and began to relax; then I looked up at the sky. Sure, during the day, the sky is cool looking (If your eyes aren't blinded by the sun) and occasionally there are days when it looks really cool; but, at night... When you look into the sky at night, you can't help but to think about something. The vastness of God's creation, so great that our minds can't even comprehend how HUGE our God and this universe really is... Then I began to think about us. How small and insignificant we are to the universe but how great and significant we are to its creator.

From the moment I got outside till the night was over, I couldn't get away from this thought:
No One Wants An On/Off Friendship. I began to think over the years that I've encountered those kinds of people; and, all I could do was think about how much that pissed me off. Now there are plenty of people that I love and am thankful for, but if it wasn't for the Lord, I would probably hate most people, honestly. I hate to say it, but it's true. Whether you've had a great friend who has tried to steal your significant other, who has stolen something from you, who has sold you out, started drama, started rumors, lied, cheated; some one who is a friend when it's convenient for them and will throw you right back in lions den. No one wants an on/off friendship because it can RUIN your chances of ever establishing relationships in the future. If you have been hurt countless times by your "friends" why would you ever be real and open up to anyone again? No one wants an on/off friendship.

The more I thought about this, the more angry I got. It brought up old baggage and repressed memories. Story after story began to play back in my mind but then... Everything stopped. It was then that I realized that this "No one wants an on/off friendship" was just an opening statement to an even more important question...

If no one wants an on/off friendship, then Why Would We Want An On/Off Relationship With Jesus Christ?

My feelings of anger quickly shifted to shame and humility. You see, I am a Christ follower. I Love Jesus and will always love Jesus; however, there are days that I find myself not following and seeking Him with all of my heart. There are many ways that I express my love for Jesus, but music is the way in which I choose in most cases. It might be the same for you or completely different. The ways in which you choose to worship Him are different, but how you worship Him remains the same: You worship Him with your life.

So the question is this: If we don't want an on/off friendship, then why do we continue to have an on/off relationship with Jesus?

Worship is defined by how you live your life; not how you live certain days of your life

No comments:

Post a Comment