Pictures

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Worship Playing vs Band Playing

I recently read an article that compares and contrasts the differences between worship playing and band playing. As I was reading the article It made me think of two things: First, it made me think of the many musicians I've known and played with over the years who are involved in worship for reasons other than solely glorifying God. secondly, it made me think of the worshippers who get distracted by the performance of those musicians and, rather than focusing their attention and worship on encountering Christ, they seem to focus on the musical experience and listen with eyes and ears rather than their heart.

Looking at this from a worship leader's perspective, or looking at someone who leads in worship, it's easy to tell the difference between leading worship and playing in a band. However, many people fail to realize that the musicians playing in a worship band are much more than just hired musicians playing for "the worship leader." Whether it's the drums, bass, guitar etc., playing in a worship band is much more than a performance (Meeting people, making money and getting girls), It's a sacred privilege. A privilege that we have be given to glorify the astounding and magnificent King.

I understand that some of you reading this might be musicians and understand the differences between the two. Some of you may be tone deaf and couldn't hit a good note to save your life (trust me, I've met some of you) and still understand. But the fact is, there are many of us who really don't understand. Regardless, if you do or you don't, this is a good reminder to all, even me, of the one and only reason why we engage in worship through music; to glorify our Creator!

In an attempt to bring perspective, I will scrutinize the two to try and help you comprehend the differences..

WORSHIP PLAYING: Vs BAND PLAYING:

1. The motive is created by Love.
--------- A motive created by musical excellence.

2. It's not about me.
---------It's about me getting famous.

3. Skill is not the prerequisite of success.
--------- Skill is the litmus test for success.

4. You play for an audience of 1.
--------- Playing for an audience of 1 is usually a good indication that you should quit.

5. You don't get paid but you're definitely rewarded.
--------- You sometimes get paid, but the reward is momentary.

6. It's bigger than you.
--------- It rarely gets past the local dive.

7. The purpose is to glorify our Creator.
--------- The purpose is to create great music.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Micah. Great perspective on this issue. When I watch you lead worship, I see someone who cares about excellence, but more than that you care about touching the heart of God and helping a congregation do the same. You have found that balance between excellence without performance and humility without lack of confidence. These are all hard things to balance. Great job! -fro

    ReplyDelete